I’m MaryEllen Giombetti (you can call me MEG)
I’m a dynamo in the gym, a wizard in the kitchen, and a dog lover pretty much everywhere.
A bit about my fitness story
MaryEllen Giombetti, ISSA-CFT, SFN
- Certified Personal Fitness Trainer (International Sports Sciences Association)
- Certified Specialist in Fitness Nutrition (International Sports Sciences Association)
- Practical Yoga (Academy of Holistic Fitness)
- CPR & AED Certified (American Heart Association)
- BA (Syracuse University)
I’m a regular person. I love cheese and pastries – and I EAT them. We probably have a lot in common (especially the cheese).
Even though I grew up playing sports, eventually life got in the way. By 29, I was in the worst shape of my life. I hated how I felt and looked so I decided to do something about it: I lost more than 24 pounds by rediscovering my passion for sports and fitness.
That’s when I decided to get “wicked smaht” and enroll in the International Sports Sciences Association’s (ISSA) program to become a fitness trainer. Then I did something super crazy – I QUIT MY OFFICE JOB! I wanted something more. So in 2009, I traded my power suits for empowerment and went after it.
That’s how EMPOWERED by MEG started. I changed my life, and I couldn’t be happier. Because now I can help you change your life too! One fun workout, one healthy meal, at a time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often do you work out?
I average about 8 individual or group sessions a day. But my focus is to motivate and monitor my clients, and I can’t do that if I’m doing burpees or benching my bodyweight at the same time they are.
So, I schedule myself as a client about 5 times a week. I create a plan for myself just as I would for my clients, and I stick to it. Sometimes it’s a full body workout, a combo of running and yoga, or a bootcamp style workout.
What do you eat?
Real food. I even eat chocolate and drink alcohol. Just not all the time. I LOVE to cook and revamp recipes that aren’t traditionally healthy so you can feel good about eating them. During the week I eat “clean” and plan meals that are made of lean proteins and lots of fresh veggies and fruits. I limit my grains to more of the ancient style ones like quinoa, farro, and spelt. Though when it’s time to visit Mom, you know I’m not turning down that lasagna.
What’s your training style and nutrition philosophy?
That it’s possible to have fun while you sweat. That when you find active things you enjoy, you’ll keep up with it. I’m also a firm believer in what I call functional fitness, or moving in ways that are natural. For instance, if you sit down and get up, that’s a squat. Boom. You did it.
When it comes to nutrition, I encourage my clients to focus on food they can find in nature. If you’re going to eat something out of a box, make sure you can pronounce the ingredients. If you can’t, it’s probably not the best choice. I don’t believe in DIETS!!! That’s a crappy way to live. Here’s what works: 80% of the time do good things for your body, like move more and eat real food. The other 20% of the time? Ease up and enjoy a day off or an ice cream sundae.
How do I lose *this*? (finger pointing or hand gesture)
Pick a place and just start. Don’t try to do everything all at once. Whether it’s focusing on making better food choices or going for a nice walk every other day, you can start doing something today that will make a BIG difference tomorrow, and in the days following.
Whatever you choose to do, be consistent because small change does add up. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and enlist the help of a professional (hopefully, me). Set goals to keep you focused, and implement strategies that hold you accountable. And don’t forget to reward yourself for staying the course, it can be a great motivator.
Move It To Lose It 8 Week Program
Want to drop unwanted weight and shed fat? This "done for you" 8-week program will get you moving and losing in no time with step-by-step workouts you can do anywhere.
28-Day EMPOWERED Program
My original 28-day “Slim Down” meal plan comes with more than 70 tasty and easy to prepare recipes plus 3 BONUS plans. Now you can lose weight while developing a healthy relationship with real food.
EMPOWERED by MEG Blog
Want to stay motivated, active, and happy inside and out? Get the latest fitness advice, free recipes, and special offers on my blog.